Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Port Measurement

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Port Measurement

    I am building a pair of bass reflex enclosures. I'm using 416's and need to determine the port size. I read in an Altec write up entitled "Loudspeaker Enclosures and Their Design and Use" that I got from this forum that the port size can be determined using an audio generator, resistor, and volt meter.

    Can this be explaned and where can I get one of these at a reasonable price.
    Thanks,
    Marvin

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Port Measurement


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    What are the dims of the box and internal volume in cu.ft ? Check out this paper Altec Application notes AN-5 look at the different size enclosures WRT the 416 and the volume of each cabinet and the port size that determines the Box tuning.Cabinets explained are the 612,614,620,and the 930.All the duct lengths are 3/4" you can lower the tuning by lengthening the port length to 1",2",3",etc....... As GM has taught me on this I think, and what I have done on my project. :2thumbsup: I added 4" length of 6" PVC pipe on each port, 2 ports were required, one on each side of cabinet to get to a 25 Hz box tuning !


    http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet...Enclosures.pdf

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    I can understand your and GM's method. But, the explanation in the article I mentioned states the method of using the audio generator as input to your amp along with a 500/1000 ohm 2/5 watt resistor and a volt meter in paralell with the bass driver will allow measurment of the impedence curve as plotted on a graph. (whew, long sentence) This method is stated as being able to tune ANY loudspeaker.

    I presume this does not determine port size only tuning. Perhaps the method you recommend will get you in the ballpark and the final fine tuning can be made with the method discribed in the Altec publication.

    I was just hoping someone could explain this to an old guy like me with very limited knowledge.
    Box size is 36" H, 25" W, 19" D, or 9.89 cu. ft. before bracing. I'm using 416A 16 ohm drivers.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    Hi MM,

    Those are ID dimensions?
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    Port Measurement


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    I'll assume they are Outside Dims.Well those dims (9.89) are close to a M19 (9.35) especially after bracing. I think which would give it a port size of 2.5"x 11" with a length of 3/4" the same on the M19 with a 30 Hz tuning.Also for a 416 driver. I hope that helps.For your method maybe GM or someone else can help in that regard.

    BTW: Your not as limited knowledge wise as you think !

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    Actually they are inside dimensions. Outside is 37 1/2 H, 26 1/2 wide, and 22 1/2 deep with an inch over hang at the front for a recessed front cloth covered panel.

    True, it is close to the 19 dims, but there is no enclosed horn. The horn will be mounted on top. An 805 with a 399 compression driver. Crossed at 800 hz.

    Bass is very important to me, so I am very concerned about the port. I want to go as low as possible.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Inactive Member nikki1's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2010
    Posts
    38
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    Don't know if this will help but I built a pair of 612's for my 416-8A's. Altec recommends this cab for those speakers. Internal dimensions are 28"H x 24"W x20"D with a port of 3" x7 3/8" x 3/4" Deep. Don't know about the bracing and speaker volume but I built them according to Altec's plans so I assume it's all taken into consideration. Haven't got them quite finished yet so I can't comment on the bass response.

    According to Bill at GPA the two were made for each other and work very well. We'll see.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    Get a copy of Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design". He explains it all very well.

    Amazon.com: Loudspeaker Design Cookbook (9781882580101): Vance Dickason: Books

    Jim N

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Port Measurement

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marvin View Post
    I am building a pair of bass reflex enclosures. I'm using 416's and need to determine the port size. I read in an Altec write up entitled "Loudspeaker Enclosures and Their Design and Use" that I got from this forum that the port size can be determined using an audio generator, resistor, and volt meter.

    Can this be explaned and where can I get one of these at a reasonable price.
    Thanks,
    Marvin
    Well, it can be determined empirically by experimenting with different size vent areas, but it can't tell you how big/long it must be to have a low vent mach (acoustic loss) at the desired peak power.

    Not sure how much explanation you're wanting, so will just list some links and you can 'fine tune' your Qs if you still have any:

    Read Research - Articles (DL the various vented box papers)
    The Subwoofer DIY Page - Port Calculations
    Porting at Subwoofer-Builder.com

    Ditto what you're specifically looking for at a reasonable price, but if you mean test gear, nowadays folks usually just use freeware speaker measurement computer programs, though of course portable or table model frequency generators are still available. Whichever you choose, Google is your 'friend'.......

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.